Thursday, May 1, 2008

Great price on Dogswell treats at Amazon

Dogswell Vitality Chicken Breast Mini's, 6-Ounce Bags (Pack of 6)

In the training world, folks often refer to different treats as having different pay rates. For Grete, a picky eater, this is especially true. I try to keep an ordered list of her treats in my head. For example, her regular kibble seems to be worth $1 to her -- but it depends on the context. Sometimes, it's like a penny, and like most Americans, she won't even stoop to pick it up off the ground. I've been meaning to make a little chart like this:

Treat - Context - Pay Rate
Orijen Kibble - Indoors - $1.00
Orijen Kibble - Outside - $0.01
Charlie Bear Cheese - Indoors - $5.00
Charlie Bear Cheese - Outside - $1.00
... etc ...

Despite being made in China, I can't deny the unmistakable value that Dogswell Chicken treats have for Grete. To Grete, a piece of Dogswell Chicken is worth over $100.00 inside the house, and probably about $50 outside. (I used to buy the full size treats and tear them up. I'm super excited that they're making "minis" now.)

FWIW, I overlook the China factor for three reasons. First, Dogswell's FAQ is pretty darn reassuring. FDA/APHIS certified. Happy chickens. No recalls.

Second, almost all the local "foofy" pet stores carry Dogswell. Four Legs Good, Mud Bay, Petapoluza, and more. I haven't checked All The Best yet, but that's because they're not convenient for me. I'm pretty sure I've seen them at Unleashed Pawsabilities, but I'm not 100% sure. (But if you haven't been to Unleashed Pawsabilities you should. They're just so nice there!)

Third, they're one of the very, very few treats that she will work hard for in the face of massive distractions. (e.g. Outside at the dog area at work with multiple friendly, playful dogs present.)


That's why I just bought three 6-multi-pack packages of Dogswell Minis on Amazon today, and I had to stop myself from buying more.

Here's a link: Dogswell Vitality Chicken Breast Mini's, 6-Ounce Bags (Pack of 6)

Let's do the math.

Keep in mind that the average Seattle pet shop will sell these 5 or 6 oz packages for $6 to $9 per single 6 oz package. (Dogswell's own suggested price is $8.99. SmileyDog's 2008 price list has $7.50 for 5 oz. I'm not sure why there are both 5oz and 6oz bags floating around. That's a little weird. )

At Amazon, since Amazon Grocery only deals in multi-packs, you'll get SIX 6 oz packages for $20. What's more, they're running a promotion that gives you 10% off. [Code: DOGTREA4; Expires 5/31] Also, I get an employee discount of another 10%.

All said and done, I just paid $52.32 for 108 oz.

Let's be generous and say you find a place that sells 6 oz for $7. For me to have gotten 108 oz, I would have paid ... $126.00.

In other words, locally, I would pay $1.16 / oz.
At Amazon, I just paid less than 49 cents / oz.

Score. :-)

Here's that link one more time: Dogswell Vitality Chicken Breast Mini's, 6-Ounce Bags (Pack of 6)

No comments: